Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Why Am I Doing this? Why Bake Bread for Others??

Why - why - why?

Why bake bread?
Why sell it to neighbors?


Is it so profitable - that I can't resist?
Do I have a ton of flour I need to get rid of?

Curious minds want to know (if you have gotten this far?!!

Well...
No - it is not so profitable.  This bread is not so expensive; delivery takes time; I need to sell over 200 loaves just to break even based on the costs of permits and insurance  So no - there is no goldmine here.
No - I don't have a ton of flour to get rid of.  I buy it as I need it (yes, 50 # bags from the Costco Business Center - though I am open to other sources, this seems to be a good value, and a way to keep the price down).

Sooooooo -

Why Bake Bread?

Because I think I make great bread - better than I have tasted before.  When fresh (within hours from the oven) it is really special.  And, I know what's in it - and what is not.  As to the taste, I like all of the varieties I offer - some more than others, of course - which is why I offer them.  
Earlier in 2015, I moved my office from the business park to my home - so I have easy access to my kitchen and oven and can do my day job part time and bake part time.  My accounting business is winding down - so this seems to be a good 

Why Sell it to Neighbors?

First - I think this is a product that cannot be obtained - without baking at home.  It's the combination of timing so it is available to eat when you are ready to eat it (while it is fresh) and the flavor/texture and the availability.  But, what about the neighborhood artisanal bakery?
  1. Artisanal bakeries make good bread - but their idea of fresh is when it is baked the same day.  You have to time it right - or be lucky - to get the fresh fresh bread.  (I think they ought to have a light - like Krispy Kreme - to tell you when the bread is coming out of the oven.  I will save that thought - for the future). 
  2. Artisanal bakeries are few and far between - If there is one in your area, and it is convenient, then give it your business.  Not convenient?  This is often the reason people don't patronize their local bakery (if they have one).   The closest bakery to me is about 4 or 5 miles away and seems to focus more on desserts and Asian specialties (aka guilty pleasures).  
  3. Artisanal bakeries generally have to make a multitude of items simply to stay in business - so they have a multi-focus (desserts, snacks, cookies, etc) and cover the cost of waste.  
  4. You are too busy with your life to spend the time to learn to make bread, make lots of mistakes and 
Second - Because I think I can deliver a better product, a fresher product - and I want to find out if that is true.

Third - I expect that I will get feedback from my neighbors that will result in bread that is even better than it is today.

Fourth -  I get great joy creating this bread from simple ingredients and I want to make more.  I see this 'outlet' as a way of making more.

Actually, if I thought it would be appreciated universally (and I had bottomless pockets) I would give it away. And, alas, I have this philosophy that if something isn't of value - one should understand why spending their time on that effort.  If I am doing this to make me feel good - then I have other selfish pursuits that are more worthy of my limited free time.  If people appreciate the bread and pay a reasonable price and, after all costs, I can pay my property taxes or go on a cruise - then I see it as a win/win.

Actually, though I disagree with the amount of government regulation over simple home made foods (including lemonade, cookies and bread - a permit is needed to sell these items if home made), I am complying with the rules.  During the second half of 2015, I recruited 5 families on this street who served as a testing panel as I developed recipes which would later be submitted for approval by the county.  Between the bread given away in this process and that given away at a church-related community feeding effort, and home baking, I have used almost 400 pounds of flour.  If things go as I hope, I will use about 120 pounds of flour per month - and I figure my capacity is about twice that.  

Yesterday, not having any orders to fill, I baked a batch (about 3 pounds) of rosemary garlic bread.  Wonderful.  Not too anything - just soft, fresh, tasty and nice.

Yes, everyone should have access to this bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment