Saturday, January 9, 2016

FWIW - Some thoughts on Slicing a Whole Artisan Loaf

Cutting the Loaf:  Here’s How I do it


First - the knife I use is a serrated bread knife.  It cost about $6 at the Costco Business Center - but now you have to buy two at a time (for $12 before tax).  It’s not ‘show quality’, but it works great and has a solid handle.  

Second - I place the loaf on a cutting board and decide whether I am going to cut at least half the loaf (for a family meal or several sandwiches) or I am simply looking for a slice for a snack or a couple slices for a sandwich.  

For half a loaf or more, I place the longest edge pointing away from me and then cut through the middle, creating two long halves.
Then, for each half, I turn the piece 90º and put the cut side down.  Then I cut slices starting at one end and work toward the other.  My focus on making similar sizes is dependent on the look I want for the table: the more formal, the more I seek uniformity in slice width.  
           

If I am simply cutting a slice for lunch, maybe a sandwich, I slice a piece off the open end, and then cut it in half in the short direction.  This gives me two pieces of equal size for my sandwich.  If I want a larger sandwich, I cut off another slice.  One of the advantages of cutting your own sandwich bread is that you can cut it as thin as you wish.  I like it thin.  

That's it - if you have any questions, email me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment