Thursday, January 7, 2016

Packaging and Labeling

Packaging and Labeling 


I am the packaging machine.  At this writing, the plan is to place each loaf in a micro perforated bag which is closed using the adhesive label.

The Label includes information required by the County Health Department and some that is not.

Here is a sample label.  

Here you see the 
  • My company name, location of my home kitchen, email address.
  • name of the product - hopefully it is descriptive enough to help you understand whether you want to know more.  
  • weight - while I strive for two basic sizes (1 and 1.5 pounds) and at this time, expect only to offer the 1 pound version, the County Health Department (CHD) tells me that if I give you a 17 ounce loaf, I cannot say that it is one pound.  Therefore, I will weigh each loaf as part of the packaging process.
  • Two required alerts - that the bread was made in a home kitchen and that it contains ingredients on the California allergen list.  In this case - it contains wheat.
  • Baked on date - self explanatory.  But, know that the process of making the bread started long before it was baked.  Also, an admonition that there are no preservatives - so it won't last if you just park it on the counter top.
  • The next three lines cover the agency that issued the registration and the actual registration number.  If you have a complaint that we can't resolve (heaven forbid), this number will identify My Fresh Bread Company to the CHD.  
    • Note that the entire label had to be presented to the CHD for approval - as are future offerings.  This (and the associated fees) means that there is a laborious and costly process to get a new product approved - so I have come to understand that I cannot add any new products on a whim.  Deep sigh.
  • And, then come the ingredients.  Every ingredient in the bread - no matter how small.  And, if an ingredient I use shows ingredients within (as per its label), then those are shown parenthetically - like the flour.  
Phew - that's the label which will be used to close the bag.

FWIW  - my understanding is that your 14 yr old needs to go through the same process I did in order to sell Lemonade on the corner.
To the credit of the County agency, they really are trying to protect the public from 'unsafe' (they used the word 'dangerous') foods).  Baked breads (and lemonade for that matter) are not considered dangerous foods.  

No comments:

Post a Comment