Wednesday, February 24, 2016

What Kind of Bread do we eat at My House?


Interesting question - because my house is the center of the experiments.
I eat toast most mornings.  My office is in my home, so I often have a sandwich for lunch.  And, though we rarely have bread with the evening meal, I do often have a piece of toast when the hunger bug hits in the evening.  So, we eat a lot of bread in my house - and I think I eat the most.

But, I want bread that I want to eat.  That said, I don't always have choices.

IF I had a choice, I would ALWAYS choose fresh bread.  I like soft and tasty bread.
I would always choose bread that is good for me - that is soft and tasty.

This morning, we had some Asiago Olive bread from a regional bakery - I think that part of the attraction is that you have to go 40 miles to get it.  It is a couple days old.  It has lots of items on the ingredient list including words I cannot pronounce.  But, it is soft and tasty.

I also have some 6 day old whole wheat bread left over from an experiment.

I was toasting the bread and putting a slice of chicken sausage and microwaved eggs (soft yolk) on top - basically burying the toast literally and flavor wise.

I chose the whole wheat bread for breakfast today - sliced very thin and toasted with butter on it.  With the hot sausage and egg on it, and then sliced into bite sized pieces, I ate it with a fork.  It was nice.

Yesterday, for lunch, I had chicken breast (sliced from a Costco rotisserie chicken) on the Asiago/Olive bread with mayo and a touch of salt.  It was very good.  The wheat bread was a little old for a sandwich, but the loaf bread was great.

My favorite bread is the Rosemary Thyme bread.  It's great for poultry sandwiches, toast with butter or just buttered.  But, it doesn't have any whole wheat in it = and that bothers me a little bit.  "They" say that whole wheat can be added to any recipe - at 20% with no ill effects and often at 40% with no heaviness - and dough conditioners can be added (lecithin, potato flakes, or oil) can be added to 'lighten up' dough made heavy with whole wheat.  Alas - do I want to complicate it?

But, a big part of the attraction of the Rosemary Thyme bread is the softness.  I don't think that a stiffer crumb, though tasty, would be as good.

That said, I am looking forward to some Onion Dill bread that is in fermentation right now.  Similar crumb and crust, but a different taste.  Best uses??  Hmmmm, I am not sure.  It certainly would be good with soups.  I think it would be good with poultry sandwiches.  And, I am sure it would be great just buttered - whether plain or toasted.




No comments:

Post a Comment