Thursday, February 11, 2016

Experimental Team


One of my joys is to try out different techniques and varieties of bread as well as different ingredients.  Right now, I have a 'long ferment' version of whole wheat going along with a rye variation.  That will result in two different loaves (I expect two different flavors due to the rye used in one) but, I hope it will be very good looking also.

I also have a 'serrano bread' dough fermenting which will get baked today.  It is a take off of the serrano/cheddar bread - but without the cheese, and with the serrano minced in the dough hopefully to result in a flavor throughout rather than the 'spotty' taste from mixing pepper slices in the dough.  My thought is that the spicy bread would be great with a jelly or jam - like fig jam - for breakfast.

I hope to investigate fresh home milled organic grains as a means of creating guilt free breads - even health improving breads - that are tasty.  Business wise, the investment in a grain mill should be justified by the market (or expected market) for the product.  But, I am faced with a market place for grain and flour where an organic choice of raw wheat berries costs 3-5 times (or more) per pound than pre milled bread flour (with the bran and germ removed).

My priority is to get good tasting bread (preferably with a wow for flavor) and then to make it look good - tall and pretty.  Often, the first few attempts, while tasty, are not so 'tall and pretty'.

But, this takes testing.  I hate to throw the excess away and I love to get comments on what I think I have achieved (vs. what I know I failed at).  All the 'testing bread' is edible - though, it is the people on the experimental team who will tell me how they like it.  From the last 6 months, I understand that different people have different tastes.  That's why I like to have many people (as many as ten households) on the experimental team.

How it works:
As I get inspired, I will try out different techniques or recipes.  As it looks like I will have something to share, I will let the experimental team know what is available (size and a hint on variety) and when.  You will respond (if you are available) as to whether you can take some and evaluate it.  It's ok to say no - but if it never works out, you will be dropped (I expect you understand).  If the bread goes to someone located in my neighborhood - I will deliver.  If not - you need to pick the bread up at my world wide bakery headquarters (aka, home) on Lakewood Street.  This is not regular or predictable - and it may or may not fit into your 'dinner menu' schedule.

Then, and it is really important, YOU give me your feedback.   Your first impression on the bread, and your opinion on the taste and general use of the bread.  If you have others in your house - I would love to hear what they say as well.  It's ok to have conflicting opinions - that's real world.

And, of course, you are able to order from the web store - which offers breads on a predictable schedule.  But, if you are outside of the delivery area, you must pick it up.  The bread is packaged in a micro perforated bag so it will breath - but the shelf life is short and freshness wains as the bread ages.  Fresh is good - very good.

But, as I can only sell varieties which have been approved by the County and approving a single variety has a fee equal to the revenue from the sale of about 35 loaves of bread, success in testing doesn't relate to instant additions to the breads offered.  I was amazed to find out that even the type of flour (bleached or unbleached) causes a need for approval for each option.  I am allowed to give away varieties without approval in my quest to enhance my process and recipe.  Also, it takes 2-4 weeks to get approval, once the application is submitted.  So, there is a disconnect between perfection in the 'laboratory' and offering it for sale - and that disconnect is called 'regulation'.  

Does this stop the process of developing new recipes and applying new ingredients and methods???  No, it does not. 


if you are interested - email me at
myfreshbreadcompany@gmail.com

dan

No comments:

Post a Comment